Sanbornton Historical Document Foundation

Preserving Sanbornton's History For The Future


Our 2010 Annual Appeal is underway. Please read about the Foundation's status and needs.
Featured Document
 
Moses T. Runnels wrote our most requested book.
 
 
Our Mission
To digitally gather and share online the historical documents of Sanbornton, New Hampshire, including as possible any contemporaneous documents at risk of being lost.

The Town of Sanbornton
Located in the fork of the Pemigewasset and Winnipesaukee rivers, the town was first called Crotchtown. It was granted by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth in 1748 to his friend John Sanborn of Hampton, along with 59 others from Hampton, Exeter and Stratham. Twelve of the grantees were named Sanborn, therefore the community was named Sanborntown. Among the other settlers were members of the Leavitt family, related to the Sanborns. But ongoing hostilities during the French and Indian War delayed permanent settlement until 1764. It would be incorporated by Governor John Wentworth in 1770. The town originally included Sanbornton Bridge, or Bridge Village, set off in 1869 as Tilton. [Source: Wikipedia]
 

Bay Meeting House, Sanbornton, New Hampshire, circa 1910.

It was built in 1836. [Source: Wikipedia]